Thursday, April 3, 2008

I'm about to take the lead out of leadership, put it back in the pencil and sharpen it to get right to the point. Not using metaphors like the one I just used in your messages is one step backwards in effectiveness. It's like saying Amish people are ugly. I've seen the movie Witness and believe me, Kelly McGillis is not ugly.

Metaphors and symbols are powerful tools in leadership. People who generally argue against them in their blogs, saying that you are putting objects before God or worshiping pagan symbols are usually the same people who have a picture of themselves as their symbol or icon in their Facebook page or blogs. So I guess that means they worship themselves. Peanut butter and Idolatry sandwiches anyone?


It's hard to lead people and not use metaphors. Let me show you the impact they make. Lets suppose I'm facing some volunteers and I want to communicate a new vision to them. I could either say " Hey Everyone- I believe God is taking us in this direction. It may take risk but I'm willing to lead you there."

Or communicating the same point through one image or icon. I recently chose to represent my new vision for the C.C.C.C. by having my staff (my mother) stare at a Pop Tart. A Pop Tart is a powerful icon for Leadership and Conferences.

Boom. Done. Think about it.


0 comments: