Monday, March 31, 2008

Leadership and Romance

Even though I’m as single as a slice of cheese, I still know a bit or two about love even if Song of Solomon is a bit cloudy for me. Apparently married women like to have their noses compared to towers which takes romance to a whole new level if you ask me. Needless to say, I have a lot to learn before I find that special someone on-line, but I am confident, I do know a thing or two when it comes to romance, especially since I’m a leader.

There are many books about what women want in life and relationships. But I have my own theories and have applied them to Leadership principles.*

LARRY DAWSON L.E. Relational Leadership Principle 1: No Dough- still Go!

Don’t allow being broke and your small ministry paychecks to interfere with having fun dates or romantic encounters. It’s the time spent that matters, or at least that’s what Sting says.

Try this scenario (written in dramatic skit form):

"So (her name here) , I was thinking maybe we could go out to Costco and get some free samples for dinner- then maybe swing over to Best Buy and catch a movie on the big screens." Maybe you live in an area where there is no Costco or Best Buy. My suggestion to you is to move from that area immediately. If that’s not possible, here are some other options if your money isn’t as sweet as your honey.

Going to the mall and sitting in the massage chairs in the Brookstone store for hours is definitely an option. Just hold your wallet in your right hand in a "I may buy this" position to ward off salesman who want to kick you out. Staring at the price tag too will buy you an extra half hour.


Radio Shack has movies too but you would have to deal with toy robot sounds so it's not very good for volume.

Sears has big screen t.v.’s as well. This is actually a great option for Christian couples because you will have accountability. You would be sharing the movie watching with the Sears sales associates.

If you can make it to Starbucks at closing time you may score some free pastries. If you do this- you have a 98 percent chance of eating their Cherry Cobbler Croissant.


Take a long walk with her and “forget” where you parked your car. That way you can spend all night prayer walking the area. Tell her you have to join hands for it to work. It may not be theologically correct but at least you touched held hands.

Another free meal is to show up at someone else’s birthday dinner or picnic as a “distant cousin”. She won’t know either. Look for a party with a rich, loving, Pastoral man at the head of the table. They usually just take care of the tab. You wouldn’t be lying technically as we all came from Abraham.


* Following these guidelines will also probably cause grounds for long term singleness.

0 comments: